General chit-chat among all.
UH1FE
L5
L5

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by UH1FE » Sun May 28, 2017 9:38 am

ssandersjr wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 pm
I am very familiar with Curtis Stone and his channel. I think I have watched all of his videos. He does some amazing work. I have actually thought about doing his course for $1K. Here is his TEDx https://youtu.be/0aH2snaa19k
I am also looking at taking one of his courses. First thing though I need to buy his book. I also need to buy the book of the guy he does videos with sometimes. I don't remember his name it is the french name guy from quebec.

ssandersjr
L7
L7

Post by ssandersjr » Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 am

UH1FE wrote:
ssandersjr wrote:
I am very familiar with Curtis Stone and his channel. I think I have watched all of his videos. He does some amazing work. I have actually thought about doing his course for $1K. Here is his TEDx https://youtu.be/0aH2snaa19k
I am also looking at taking one of his courses. First thing though I need to buy his book. I also need to buy the book of the guy he does videos with sometimes. I don't remember his name it is the french name guy from quebec.
That would be Jean-Martin Fortier. Geoff Lawton is another good one. This is a free program he offers, http://start.geofflawtononline.com/permaculturecircle/

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 pm

ssandersjr wrote:
Nice, I am horrible with names. Also on a side note which is not gardening look up cowboy kent rollins on youtube. He is a cowboy cook that I think gardeners would like.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 pm

So I went ahead and finally bought Curtis Stones and Jean-martin Fortier's book. Can't wait to get them I have three years left till retirement for the Air Force and I would love to start a market garden.

ssandersjr
L7
L7

Post by ssandersjr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:24 pm

UH1FE wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 pm
So I went ahead and finally bought Curtis Stones and Jean-martin Fortier's book. Can't wait to get them I have three years left till retirement for the Air Force and I would love to start a market garden.
That's great. Let me know how it is. Did you just get the single book or the course?

I'm glad I wasn't growing for profit this year, because it would have been a disaster. Final rain total for June 2017, 31.28 inches.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:02 pm

I only bought the books. I do plan on doing at least his one day online work shop and buying his digital tool kit.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Also I have no expectation of making money initially. The wife plans on working full time with AAFES as a manager which she is now and I will work part time to allow for the gardening. I am thinking 3-5 years after I retire before I can make this my full time job so I have a long way to go. Also I will let you know how the books are if you don't already have them.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok so I did a quick scan of the two books. I would say buy both, they are cheap and a good read. Curtis Stone is good because he focuses on the details like spread sheets and planning part. Fortier focuses on the ecology of the soil which is also good. If you are looking for the general growing thing then just go to their youtube channels. Again this was a 45 minute read of both but I am absolutely happy I bought both books. I will need to buy Curtis Stones digital tool kit to fill out what I need but I don't feel cheated.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Wed May 09, 2018 8:01 pm

So this year sucks for me! I am getting an assignment to Barkdale AFB with a RNLTD of Sept 30. So with being in North Dakota now this means I cant do a garden this year.....I'm pissed.

UH1FE
L5
L5

Post by UH1FE » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Well I have started getting things in line for my market garden business when I retire in 2020. I picked up the domain, youtube channel, twitter, facebook, instagram, and gmail for my market garden name. I'm now working on a logo to go with it. I'm also keeping an eye out for the right property in Idaho where we plan on living. July of 2020 is coming up fast and I am so looking forward to getting this thing rolling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.