Gardening/Backyard Farmers

General chit-chat among all.
ssandersjr
L7
L7
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Florida

Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by ssandersjr » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Does anyone do any vegetable gardening or back yard farming?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Bull3tBait
L2
L2
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by Bull3tBait » Tue May 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Why yes I've been consistently killing my backyard veggie garden for years. I have successfully harvested 3 cucumbers last year and some basil


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

ssandersjr
L7
L7
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by ssandersjr » Tue May 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Bull3tBait wrote:Why yes I've been consistently killing my backyard veggie garden for years. I have successfully harvested 3 cucumbers last year and some basil


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, how did you kill cucumbers, as long as you water them, they will flourish.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Bull3tBait
L2
L2
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by Bull3tBait » Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm

ssandersjr wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:34 pm
Bull3tBait wrote:Why yes I've been consistently killing my backyard veggie garden for years. I have successfully harvested 3 cucumbers last year and some basil


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, how did you kill cucumbers, as long as you water them, they will flourish.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Easy. Run over them with the lawn mower. Well thats what happened last year. Before that it was Bean Beetle infestations.
Image

User avatar
chris
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by chris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm

I try tomatoes every year, and kill tomatoes, every year.

Cucumbers are easy, so are zucchinis, but for the life of me, tomatoes, can't get one good fruit.. :lol:
I also do thyme, rosemary, and oregano. and my wife does rhubarb.

One of these years, I'm gonna go buy the cedar and build raised beds..

ssandersjr
L7
L7
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by ssandersjr » Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 am

The garden this year is smaller than usual, due to my ongoing elbow issue, but that's another story. This year is 35'x30', down from the normal 35'xalmost 100'. All done with standard planting practice, Tilling, fertilizer, tilling, hand formed raised rows, then hand planted. I typically plant purple hull peas, fordhook limas, green beans, corn, okra, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, canteloupe, pumpkin, and various peppers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


ssandersjr
L7
L7
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by ssandersjr » Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 am

snowman wrote:I try tomatoes every year, and kill tomatoes, every year.

Cucumbers are easy, so are zucchinis, but for the life of me, tomatoes, can't get one good fruit..
I also do thyme, rosemary, and oregano. and my wife does rhubarb.

One of these years, I'm gonna go buy the cedar and build raised beds..
I had thought about raised cedar beds in the past, but with the pricing on making cedar beds, I said hell with that. I went the cheap route with the 3 4x8 raised beds I have. I picked up some pallets, ripped them apart, and framed my own raised beds. Lined each with landscape fabric and filled with compost. When they start rotting away, I'll build another one and save all that money for more important things, like beer :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


UH1FE
L5
L5
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 pm
Location: Minot, ND

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by UH1FE » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm looking at doing the market garden farming as a job when I retire from the Air Force instead of getting a real job. If you are really interested look up "Urban Farmer" on youtube. He makes over six figures on 1/3 of an acre. I bought some heirloom seeds this year of varieties that you cannot get at the store. Tomatoes, carrots, pepper, beans, and watermelons.

ssandersjr
L7
L7
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by ssandersjr » Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I am very familiar with Curtis Stone and his channel. I think I have watched all of his videos. He does some amazing work. I have actually thought about doing his course for $1K. Here is his TEDx https://youtu.be/0aH2snaa19k

iamthesgt
L5
L5
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 6:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Gardening/Backyard Farmers

Post by iamthesgt » Sat May 27, 2017 7:41 pm

snowman wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm
I try tomatoes every year, and kill tomatoes, every year.

Cucumbers are easy, so are zucchinis, but for the life of me, tomatoes, can't get one good fruit.. :lol:
I also do thyme, rosemary, and oregano. and my wife does rhubarb.

One of these years, I'm gonna go buy the cedar and build raised beds..
We didn't use cedar, but we finally made raided beds last year. Been mostly succesful, not as many tomatoes as I'd like but we got some. Squash is out of control this year...
#1 Post Whore for a brief time on the old site. 10,567 posts down the tubes...guess I better get on it again...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest